Listen to examples of my radio work
News, Sports and Traffic Anchor/ Reporter/Producer, NCNN (North Carolina News Network)
Anchor, produce, and write newscasts, sportscasts and traffic reports and interviews on statewide network of 85 stations in North Carolina reaching 1.5 million listeners each week. Anchor afternoon drive time and prime time newscasts on WPTF, news-talk station in Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville (ADI #25). In charge of station website updates, producing content for network feed. Won individual and team RTDNAC and AP awards for Best Feature Reporting, Best News Team and Best Election Coverage.
Live Reporter/News Anchor
WNCN (NBC) Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville NC ADI #25
Broke investigation that won EMMY, Regional Murrow, IRE and company-wide investigative reporting awards and resulted in new N.C. Law to protect well owners from toxic water.
While anchoring news and trafficI morning newscast ratings rose more than 100% in all key demos.
Specialties in live breaking news, exclusives, investigative reporting;
Worked with national "Today Show" on stories including search for soldier Kelli Bordeaux, and Alaina Giordano case that ignited national firestorm about custody rights for parents with cancer.
Primary News Anchor, 5, 6 and 11 p.m.
WCTI (ABC) and WXFI (Fox) New Bern/Greenville ADI #99
Helped station achieve 12 rating, 23 share at 6 p.m., leading the market;
Doubled evening news share and doubled or tripled all key demos;
2nd highest rated anchor, and top female anchor for "viewer recruitment" after less than two years in the market (Magid 2008);
AP and RTDNA awards for "Best Newscast" (twice), Continuing Coverage, Spot News, Political Reporting, Election Reporting, and News Special
Won company wide awards for News Story of the Year and Station of the year, Bonten Media Group
Telethon Host, Producing, Editing, Web skills.
Produced daily website content
Primary News Anchor, 6, 10, and 11 P.M., and I-Team Reporter WNCT-TV (CBS) New Bern/Greenville/Washington/Jacksonville
Credited in national "Broadcasting and Cable" magazine with keeping ratings strong #1 at 6 and 11 p.m.
Increased ratings and key demos to station's highest levels in at least 5 years, #1 at 11, tied or at #1 at 6.
Promoted to add duties as solo anchor for 10 P.M weeknight CW newscast
I-Team Reports resulted in significant ratings jumps of 30-80%;
Helped supervise and mentor staff of reporters and producers;
Was responsible for and appeared in entries that won Associated Press Awards for "Best Newscast" and "Outstanding News Operation";
Won Triangle Business Journal's News Anchors Stock Market Derby;
News Anchor and Reporter/Videojournalist News 14 Carolina (24 hour news station), Raleigh/Durham NC ADI #25, and Charlotte, NC ADI #22
Anchored the highest rated newscasts, and reported, for all- news station serving both top 25 markets;
Emphasis on anchoring and reporting live breaking news, special coverage and elections;
Host, “Your Health,” and “In Depth” segments;
Anchored station's 3 highest rated live segments, for D.C. sniper case, space shuttle explosion, and Carolina Panthers Superbowl . Shot, edited own stories. Won Time Warner Community Volunteer of the Year Award
2000 - 2002
News Anchor and Medical Reporter/Videojournalist Central Florida News 13 (24 hour news station) Orlando, FL ADI #18
Anchored newscasts and reported for all -news station;
Hosted "Health Headlines," "Your Health," and "Your Fitness" daily segments;
Weekly contributed stories to Tampa affiliate, Bay News 9;
Served as station's spokesperson in campaign for National Kidney Foundation of Florida;
Shot and edited own stories
Promoted within company to full time anchor position in Charlotte
Primary News Anchor, 6 and 10 p.m.
Anchorage, Alaska and statewide;
Anchored weeknight newscasts, also reported for and hosted health segment in 5 PM newscast;
More than 100% ratings increase year to year.
Won numerous awards.
* Elected President, North Carolina Pro Chapter, Society of Professional Journalists
* EMMY, "Best Evening Newscast," Investigative Reporting Credit, 2013
* RTDNA Murrow Award, "Best Newscast," large market, 2013
* RTDNAC Award, "Best Feature Reporting,," 2015
* RTDNA Murrow Award, "Best Continuing Coverage," 2011
* Best Political Reporting," RTDNA North and South Carolina, 2010
* Best Election Coverage," RTDNA North and South Carolina, 2010
* Best Spot News," RTDNA North and South Carolina, 2009
* Best Newscast," RTDNA North and South Carolina, 2009
* Best Newscast," North Carolina Associated Press, 2010
* Outstanding News Operation," North Carolina Associated Press, 2008
* Emmy Nomination, “Best Daily Newscast," 2000* Radio Television News Directors Association National Health Reporting Award
* National Press Foundation Fellowship
* American Women in Radio and Television Series Reporting Award
* National Broadcasting Society Grand Prize for a Series
* Best Newscast,”Alaska Press Club and Alaska Broadcasters Association
* Best Reporting,” “Best Consumer/Business Reporting,” “Best Series,” "Best Health Reporting" Alaska Press Club.
* Scripps Howard Journalism Scholarship
* Best Large Market News Story," American Heart Association awards
* Named to "Anchors as Newsroom Leaders," Poynter Institute
* Named to Don Fitzpatrick's Anchor "Picks that Click"
* SPJ National Diversity and Leadership Award
University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, full scholarship. Major – Telecommunication Journalism, High Honors, 3.8 G.P.A.
National Merit Scholar
Wentworth Scholar (top 30 students by G.P.A. at University of Florida)
Completed "Anchors as Newsroom Leaders" program led by CBS' Bob Schieffer
National Press Foundation Fellowship:
Completed program in Washington D.C. On Government and Financial reporting
NBC network selected to speak and present reporting work at NABJ National Convention, 2016
Completed SPJ's Ted Scripps Leadership Institute, 2016
•Very active in community service; hosted many events for Raleigh Masquerade Ball for Children with Birth Defects, National Gymnastics Day World Record in Chapel Hill, North Carolina March of Dimes, East Carolina Vocational Center, Diabetes Walk, National Kidney Foundation, American Heart Association, American Cancer Society, Family Center for Abused Children, Rotary
•Co-founded literacy program “11 News Read to Succeed” in Anchorage schools
•Volunteer and Mistress of Ceremonies for "Greater Charlotte Heart Ball," "EPCOT Center Gift of Life Run," “Five Miler for Cancer Research,” “Mayor’s Midnight Sun Marathon,” “Heart Run."
•Hosted numerous telethons for MDA and Children’s Miracle Network.
•Member of minority journalists’ association, NABJ, and Triangle area NABJ
•Two years college level Spanish.
copyright TALENTapes, Inc 2010